It’s Friday, flash fictioneers! Y’all ready for some Friday flash fiction fun? Then welcome to Microcosms 164.
(1) You have just 24 hours until midnight, today (Friday) New York time (EST) to write and submit your masterpiece.
(2) All submissions must be no more than 300 words in length (excluding the title)
(3) NO FAN-FICTION, please, and NO USE of COPYRIGHT CHARACTERS
(4) Include: word count, the THREE elements you’re using AND a title for your entry
(5) Do NOT give details of your entry on social media, your blog, etc. until the Results post is live
(6) If you are new to Microcosms, PLEASE check out the full submission guidelines
We’re well past the US National Hat Day (05-JAN), but this week I’ve had to wear many hats.
On Monday, Mrs H. went into hospital for surgery on her shoulder. Although she was home again the same day, her right arm will be in a sling for 6-8 weeks! Consequently, I’ve had to address many of the tasks that my long-suffering, put-upon better half normally sees to, as well as my allotted chores.
Valet – Hats off to you gals! Helping my wife dress is an education: I find it hard to cope with those fiddly hooks and eyes on bras even when they are right there in front of me…
Dog Walker – I normally walk Bess in the evening; now I have to walk Bess and Mimi in the mornings too…
Cook – A takeaway delivery guy appeared at the door Thursday evening with an order we hadn’t placed; this could be an omen!
Stoker – We have a wood-burning stove; I clean it out, build the fire, light it and keep it supplied with fuel, while Mrs H. reclines on the sofa.
Lumberjack – Some of the logs we get are too chunky and need to be split. (Careful with that axe, Eugene!)
Computer Technician – Still getting to grips with the new laptop; now the old one where all my files are refuses to charge… Aaarrgh!!
(If YOU have an idea for a future contest and would like to be a guest host, please contact us.)
Our contest this week begins with THREE things: character, location and genre.
We spun, and our three elements are:
Cook; Dressing Room; Comedy
Write a story using those OR feel free to click on the “Spin!” button below, and the slot machine will come up with a new set – character, location and genre. You can keep clicking until you have a set of elements that inspires you.
- Dog Walker
- Computer Technician
- Dressing Room
- Fairy Tale
Last week’s Judge’s Pick, Deanna Salser, has kindly agreed to act as the judge this time around.
All being well, results will be posted next Monday.
Leave a Reply