Hi there, Friday flash fiction aficionados, and welcome to Microcosms 163.
(1) You have just 24 hours until midnight, today (Friday) New York time (EST) to write and submit your masterpiece.
(2) All submissions must be no more than 300 words in length (excluding the title)
(3) NO FAN-FICTION, please, and NO USE of COPYRIGHT CHARACTERS
(4) Include: word count, the THREE elements you’re using AND a title for your entry
(5) Do NOT give details of your entry on social media, your blog, etc. until the Results post is live
(6) If you are new to Microcosms, PLEASE check out the full submission guidelines
Apologies once again for the ‘no-show’ of MC 163 last week. My evil laptop finally stopped working altogether, forcing me — finally! — to go out and… BUY A NEW ONE! This should have been a simple solution, but my old — and by ‘old’ I really mean ‘ancient’ — laptop ran on Windows Vista (GASP!) and the new one is Windows 10. Consequently, there was a steep learning-curve for a geriatric like…
Anyhoo… we are here noo… er… now.
Today — 01-MAR — is St David’s Day; the feast day of the patron saint of Wales. But rather than be nationalistic, the theme is various well-known people celebrating a birthday today .
- 1952 – Nevada Barr, US author of ‘Amanda Pigeon’ mysteries, set in US national parks
- 1952 – Martin O’Neill, Northern Irish footballer and manager
- 1944 – Roger Daltrey, legendary UK lead singer with The Who
- 1967 – George Eads, American actor (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation)
- 1969 – Javier Bardem, Spanish actor (‘No Country For Old Men’)
- 1973 – Jack Davenport, English actor (‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ franchise)
(If YOU have an idea for a future contest and would like to be a guest host, please contact us.)
Our contest begins with THREE things.
We spun, and our three elements — character, location and genre — are:
Singer; Las Vegas; Adventure
Write a story using those OR feel free to click on the “Spin!” button below, and the slot machine will come up with a new set – character, location and genre. You can keep clicking until you have a set of elements that inspires you.
- Park Ranger
- Soccer Player
- Crime Scene Investigator
- National Park
- World Cup
- Rock Concert
- Las Vegas
- Desert Landscape
MC 162 Judge’s Pick, Angelique Pacheco, has kindly agreed to act as the judge this time around.
All being well, results will be posted next Monday.
Leave a Reply