Greetings, my flash fiction friends, and welcome to Microcosms 161.
(1) You have just 24 hours until midnight, today (Friday) New York time (EST) to write and submit your masterpiece.
(2) All submissions must be no more than 300 words in length (excluding the title)
(3) NO FAN-FICTION, please, and NO USE of COPYRIGHT CHARACTERS
(4) Include: word count, the THREE elements you’re using AND a title for your entry
(5) Do NOT give details of your entry on social media, your blog, etc. until the Results post is live
(6) If you are new to Microcosms, PLEASE check out the full submission guidelines
Not only did Stephen Shirres judge last week’s contest, he’s also acting as guest host this week — what a hero! Over to you, Stephen.
The sequel to one of my favourite animated movies has its UK release today (Friday, 08-FEB). Based on the world-famous building block toy, The Lego Movie 2 has the possibility to go anywhere and be anything, so I thought it would be ideal as a prompt for Microcosms.
(If YOU have an idea for a future contest and would like to be a guest host — this simply involves writing a preamble to introduce the theme, and dreaming up six CHARACTERS and six LOCATIONS related to the theme — please contact us.)
Our contest this week begins with THREE things: character, location and genre.
We spun, and our three elements are:
Construction Worker; Coffee Shop; Comedy
Write a story using those OR feel free to click on the “Spin!” button below, and the slot machine will come up with a new set – character, location and genre. You can keep clicking until you have a set of elements that inspires you.
- Space Traveller
- Construction Worker
- Alien Queen
- Post-apocalyptic Wasteland
- Child’s Bedroom
- Coffee Shop
- Throne Room
- Alternate History
Last week’s Judge’s Pick, Alysia Ascovani, has kindly agreed to act as the judge this time around.
All being well, results will be posted next Monday.
Leave a Reply