Howdy, folks, and welcome to Microcosms 150. Y’all ready for some Friday flash fiction fun?
(1) You have just 24 hours until midnight, today (Friday, 23-NOV) New York time (EST) to write and submit your masterpiece.
(2) All submissions must be no more than 300 words in length (excluding the title)
(3) NO FAN-FICTION, please, and NO USE of COPYRIGHT CHARACTERS
(4) Include: word count, the THREE elements you’re using AND a title for your entry IN THAT ORDER
(5) Do NOT give details of your entry on social media, your blog, etc. until the Results post is live
(6) If you are new to Microcosms, PLEASE check out the full submission guidelines
This week, we have yet another contest based on actors who were born or who died on this day — 23-NOV.
(If YOU have a better idea for a contest, please contact us.)
- 1887 – Boris Karloff, English actor: “Tower of London” (1939)
- 1916 – Michael Gough, Malaysian-English actor: Warner Bros.’ initial Batman film series (1989-1997)
- 1941 – Franco Nero, Italian actor: “Django” (1966)
- 1991 – Klaus Kinski, German-American actor: “Cobra Verde” (1987)
- 2012 – Larry Hagman, American actor: “I Dream of Jeannie” (1965-70)
- 2016 – Andrew Sachs, German-born British actor: “Quartet” (2013)
Our contest this week begins with THREE things: character, location and genre.
We spun, and our three elements — character, location and genre — are:
Astronaut; Retirement Home; Comedy
Write a story using these elements OR feel free to click on the “Spin!” button below, and the slot machine will come up with a new set – character, location and genre. You can keep clicking until you have a set of elements that inspires you.
- Ghost Town
- Sugar Plantation
- Retirement Home
Last week’s Judge’s Pick, Geoff Le Pard, has kindly agreed to act as the judge this time around.
All being well, results will be posted next Monday.