Howdy, folks, and welcome to Microcosms 136. Y’all ready for some Friday flash fiction fun?
This week’s contest is based on thespians whose birthdays fall on this date (17-AUG):
- 1893 – Mae West, American actress: ‘The Heat is On’ (1943)
- 1920 – Maureen O’Hara, Irish-American actress: ‘The Quiet Man’ (1952)
- 1943 – Robert De Niro, American actor: ‘The King of Comedy’ (1983)
- 1949 – Julian Fellowes, English actor, director, screenwriter, and politician: ‘Monarch of the Glen’ (2000-2005)
- 1951 – Richard Hunt, Muppet performer: Scooter in ‘The Muppet Show’ (1976-1991)
- 1960 – Sean Penn, American actor: ‘Dead Man Walking’ (1995)
(If YOU have an idea for a future contest and would like to be a guest host, please contact us.)
Our contest this week begins with THREE things: character, location and genre.
We spun, and our three elements are – character: Fiery Redhead, Location: Highland Estate, and genre: Tragedy.
Write a story using those OR feel free to click on the “Spin!” button, and the slot machine will come up with a new set – character, location and genre. You can keep clicking until you have a set of elements that inspires you.
*** HEY! Remember to include which THREE elements you’re using AND a title for your entry – not included in the word count.
*** NO FAN-FICTION, PLEASE, and NO USE of COPYRIGHT CHARACTERS **
- Fiery Redhead
- Stand-up Comedian
- Scottish Laird
- Death Row Prisoner
- Broadway Production
- Rural Ireland
- Talk Show
- Highland Estate
- State Penitentiary
Last week’s Judge’s Pick, Deanna Salser, has kindly agreed to act as the judge this time around.
REMEMBER: all submissions should be a maximum of 300 words in length (excluding the title).
You have just 24 hours until midnight, today (Friday) New York time (EDT) to write and submit your masterpiece.
*** If you are new to Microcosms, remember to check out the full submission guidelines. ***
All being well, results will be posted next Monday.