Hi, flash fiction buddies, and welcome to Microcosms 153.
(1) You have just 24 hours until midnight, today (Friday) New York time (EST) to write and submit your masterpiece.
(2) All submissions must be no more than 300 words in length (excluding the title)
(3) NO FAN-FICTION, please, and NO USE of COPYRIGHT CHARACTERS
(4) Include: word count, the THREE elements you’re using AND a title for your entry
(5) Do NOT give details of your entry on social media, your blog, etc. until the Results post is live
(6) If you are new to Microcosms, PLEASE check out the full submission guidelines
Today — 13-OCT — is the anniversary of the death in 2003 of British-Irish actor Peter O’Toole. He holds the record for the most Academy Award nominations for acting without a win — a staggering eight in all — including:
- 1962 — “Lawrence of Arabia”
- 1968 — “The Lion in Winter”
- 1969 — “Goodbye, Mr. Chips”
- 1972 — “The Ruling Class”
- 1980 — “The Stunt Man”
- 1982 — “My Favorite Year”
(If YOU have an idea for a future contest and would like to be a guest host, please contact us.)
Our contest this week begins with THREE things: character, location and genre.
We spun, and our three elements are:
Washed-up Actor; Mediterranean Cruise; Romance
Write a story using those OR feel free to click on the “Spin!” button below, and the slot machine will come up with a new set – character, location and genre. You can keep clicking until you have a set of elements that inspires you.
- Army Officer
- Paranoid Schizophrenic
- Film Director
- Washed-up Actor
- Arabian Peninsula
- French Chateau at Christmas
- Mediterranean Cruise
- Ancestral Home
- Film Set
- 1950s TV Studio
- Historical Drama
- Anti-War Drama
Last week’s Judge’s Pick, Muskan Dhiman, has kindly agreed to act as the judge this time around.
All being well, results will be posted next Monday.