Hello again, flashionistas, and welcome to Microcosms 145.
As William Shakespeare famously wrote in ‘As You Like It’:
…All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances…
This week’s contest is based on ‘players’ who had their ‘exits’ (deaths) or ‘entrances’ (births) on this day – 19-OCT.
- 1978 — Gig Young, American actor: ‘They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?’ (1969)
- 2009 – Joseph Wiseman: Canadian-American actor – ‘Dr No’ (1961)
- 2010 – Tom Bosley, American actor: ‘Father Dowling Mysteries’ (1987-1991)
- 1940 – Michael Gambon, Irish-British actor: ‘Maigret’ (1992-1993)
- 1941 – Simon Ward, English actor: ‘Young Winston’ (1972)
- 1945 – John Lithgow, American actor: ‘3rd Rock from the Sun’ (1996-2001)
(If YOU have an idea for a future contest and would like to be a guest host, please contact us.)
Our contest this week begins with THREE elements — character; location; genre. We spun, and our selected elements are:
Criminal Mastermind; Chicago; Tragedy
Write a story using those elements OR feel free to click on the “Spin!” button below, and the slot machine will come up with a new set – character; location; genre. You can keep clicking until you have a set of elements that inspires you.
- Criminal Mastermind
- Catholic Priest
- Police Detective
- War Correspondent
- Dance Marathon
- Caribbean Island
- Boer War
Last week’s Community Pick, Bill Engleson, has kindly agreed to act as the judge this time around.
(1) You have just 24 hours until midnight, today (Friday) New York time (EDT) to write and submit your masterpiece.
(2) All submissions should be a maximum of 300 words in length (excluding the title)
(3) NO FAN-FICTION, PLEASE, and NO USE of COPYRIGHT CHARACTERS
(4) Include: word count, which THREE elements you’re using AND a title for your entry
(5) Do NOT give details of your entry on social media, your blog, etc. until the Results post is live
(6) If you are new to Microcosms, PLEASE check out the full submission guidelines
All being well, results will be posted next Monday.