Hi, flash fiction buddies, and welcome to Microcosms 144.
Today, 12-OCT, is the anniversary of the birth in Royal Leamington Spa in Warwickshire of Aleister Crowley.
He was a bizarre figure — a poet, playwright, novelist, occultist, mystic, ceremonial magician… and keen mountaineer. Based upon a spiritual experience that he had in Egypt in 1904, he believed himself to be the prophet of a new age — the Æon of Horus — and went on in the early 1900s to developed the new religion or spiritual philosophy Thelema whose fundamental tenet was ‘Do what thou wilt’.
He travelled the world, and is believed to have been sent by Britain to Moscow before World War I to spy on revolutionaries in Moscow. During World War II, he was associated with a variety of figures in Britain’s intelligence community, including Dennis Wheatley, Roald Dahl and Ian Fleming.
(If YOU have an idea for a future contest and would like to be a guest host, please contact us.)
Our contest this week begins with THREE things: character, location and genre.
We spun, and our three elements are:
Spy; Loch Ness; Thriller
Write a story using those OR feel free to click on the “Spin!” button, and the slot machine will come up with a new set – character, location and genre. You can keep clicking until you have a set of elements that inspires you.
- Luxury Apartment
- Loch Ness
Last week’s Judge’s Pick, David Lewis Pogson, has kindly agreed to act as the judge this time around.
(1) You have just 24 hours until midnight, today (Friday) New York time (EDT) to write and submit your masterpiece.
(2) All submissions should be a maximum of 300 words in length (excluding the title)
(3) NO FAN-FICTION, PLEASE, and NO USE of COPYRIGHT CHARACTERS
(4) Include: word count, which THREE elements you’re using AND a title for your entry
(5) Do not give details of your entry on social media, your blog, etc. until the Results post is live
(6) If you are new to Microcosms, remember to check out the full submission guidelines
All being well, results will be posted next Monday.