Hello to all you flash fiction fans, and welcome to Microcosms 121. Apologies for the delay in posting; the closing deadline for the contest will be put back by an hour and a half – please ignore the countdown clock.
This week we have a guest host, Woody McBain. Take it away, Woody…
Hello, everyone. May the 4th be with you.
Looking back at corresponding weekends through the years, I see that quite a lot happened:
- 1932: Al Capone was ‘banged up’ in Atlanta US Penitentiary
- 1821: Napoleon ‘gave up’ the ghost in exile on St Helena
- 1859: Devon and Cornwall were ‘joined up’ by the Royal Albert railway bridge
- 1979: Margaret Thatcher ‘took up’ the position of UK Prime Minister
- 1930: Amy Johnson ‘flew up’ on her solo flight from England to Australia
- 1809: Mary Kies was ‘patented up’ for her technique of weaving straw with silk and thread to make hats
This week’s contest is based on these events.
(If YOU have an idea for a future contest and would like to be a guest host, please contact us.)
Our contest this week begins with THREE things: character, location and genre.
We spun, and our three elements are – character: Politician, Location: Air Field/Airport, and genre: Crime.
Write a story using those OR feel free to click on the “Spin!” button, and the slot machine will come up with a new set – character, location and genre. You can keep clicking until you have a set of elements that inspires you.
*** HEY! Remember to include which THREE elements you’re using AND a title for your entry – not included in the word count.
*** NO FAN-FICTION, PLEASE, and NO USE of COPYRIGHT CHARACTERS **
- Official Residence
- Air Field/Airport
- Fairy Tale
Last week’s Judge’s Pick, Bill Engleson, has kindly agreed to act as the judge this time around.
REMEMBER: all submissions should be a maximum of 300 words in length (excluding the title).
Due to the late posting of the contest, you have 24 hours until 01:30 am, today (Saturday, 05-MAY) New York time (EST) to write and submit your masterpiece.
*** If you are new to Microcosms, remember to check out the full submission guidelines. ***
All being well, results will be posted next Monday.