You guys really stepped up to the plate this week. I know it wasn’t easy for our judges. Here’s what Firdaus has to say.

Wow! The entries this week were so good that it took me awhile to pick the winner. And I can tell you it was not an enjoyable task. Every story was so unique that it broke my heart not to choose it. Boy! You folk really make it tough for the judges.

I must add that I really enjoyed KM Zafari’s story, Leilani. What a visual feast. Excellent imagery. One of my favourites. Sadly it was out of the competition. [Edit from KM: Aww, thanks so much!]

A HUGE thanks to this week’s judges, DE Park and Firdaus Parvez.

All right, the moment you’ve all been waiting for…

Honorable Mentions

A.J. Walker – Love and Death on a Wet Friday in Droyslden

Comments from David: This is my favorite of the Shinigami tales—and I was blissfully unaware that such a thing existed only a few days ago. Extra points for using the original three elements (“difficulty rating,” I guess?), but deducting for further swelling Geoff’s Love God ego…

I’m kidding!

Comments from Firdaus: I’ve never heard of a Hindu Love God named Geoff, that really set the story up for me (I’m still looking up Tameside branch! Lol!) excellent imagery throughout the story and a fun ending (in a gross way haha) Well done!

Avalina Kreska – Stupid Cupid

Comments from Firdaus: This made me smile. I loved how the relationship between the employees was interlinked. Very innovative. Good job!

Sal Page – Crackling

Comments from Firdaus: This had me laughing. Just when I was thinking it to be another romance, Bang! came the last line. What a wonderful way to end a story. Excellent flash.

Stella Turner – Legacy of King Kong

Comments from Firdaus: This was such a delight to read. It felt like a romance except it was horror. The killing itself was so ‘romantic’. Loved it!

Meg Kovalik – Change of Heart

Comments from Firdaus: This was brilliant writing all through. I read it several times. I was glad the horror turned into romance. Relieved that the ending was peaceful. Well done!

Runners Up

Sal Page – Crackling

Comments from David: As one of the (apparently rare) carnivores in this audience, I got a broad grin from this unusual romance. It was enjoyable and tasty, with a side of applesauce that ties pork and fruit together for porcine perfection.

CR Smith – Bloody Apples

Comments from Firdaus: An apple munching vampire! Wow! What an original take on the prompt. Loved the imagery and visual it created. Very well done. I enjoyed this a lot.

Favorite Lines

Before we get to our winners, here are David’s favorite lines from this week.

“This town will suck you dry, my sweet,” she had said. – Bill Engleson

‘Maybe the grafting went wrong?’ said Mark the Groundsman – who couldn’t work out if Simon was gay or not. – Avalina Kreska

“I know dear. I’m not here for one of my apples. I’m here for you.” – Stephen Shirres

I sank my teeth into its shiny flesh, imagining the taste of you. – Dana Faletti

An apple crashed to the ground at his side and wondered whether his wife could make apple sauce. – Sal Page

The dark figure laughs. “Burning coals? Really?” – Holly Geely

“Poisonous apples! Do I really have to explain?” – Daisy Warwick

“Please,” he pleaded. “Not this time.” – KM Zafari

…which largely comprised Hawaiian shirts, lurid cocktails and culturally embarrassing music… – A.J. Walker

…telling her friends about King Kong scaling the heights seeking the blonde beauty… – Stella Turner

“Actually,” he said. “What I really need are more bodies in the garden.” – Stephanie Ellis

…thick, warm blood mixed with apple juice was a big improvement. – CR Smith

…whispering to the worst side of her victims until they drove themselves to suicide. She never questioned why. – Meg Kovalik

He had a slender build and a gothic vibe. Yummy! – Craig A

She knew where the smiling guide was leading her. She was willing to go there. – Brady Koch

Not Mar’Quan and her sad secondhand plastic apples. – Tricia De Jesus

And now, without further ado, I present to you the winners of Microcosms 11.

We have a tie!

CR Smith – Bloody Apples

This story was also chosen by one of the judges. We’ll let you read it below. 🙂

A.J. Walker – Love and Death on a Wet Friday in Droyslden

Love and Death on a Wet Friday in Droyslden
A.J. Walker

There had been an administrative cock-up. Stella, a Japanese death god, had arrived at the Frog & Bucket in Droylsden to lead old Mr Yashimoto to the next world.

Geoff, a Hindu Love God (Tameside Branch), was also there to introduce Yash to an exciting new era in his life: Romance.

The Bucket was mid luau party – which largely comprised Hawaiian shirts, lurid cocktails and culturally embarrassing music – so no-one noticed the two minor deities sat puzzling over their paperwork. After a jug of mojitos they eventually shook hands to their compromise deal.

Yash’s body was to be found wearing only a flower garland and an insanely wide grin.

WC:110
shinigami/luau/romance

Judges’ Picks

CR Smith – Bloody Apples

Comments from David: Can vampires actually starve from hemoglobin intolerance? Thanks to the power of apples, we won’t have to find out. Bless the buxom milkmaids, and their ability to complete any fairy tale or old Farmer’s Daughter joke. Everything ties together nicely here, wrapped with a candy apple red bow.

@carolrosalind WC 109 Vampire/Orchard/Horror

Bloody Apples
Something was wrong with him! He’d followed his training, seduced his victim, whisked her off to a secluded spot, only to find he couldn’t bring himself to drink her blood. The problem was the taste — he didn’t like it!

But who could he tell? He’d be the butt of every joke. Vampires for Dummies was useless — as much good as telling Grandma how to bite eggs.

Exiling himself to the orchard, he satisfied his natural inclination, biting into apple after apple. Until, just before dawn, a milk maid passed by. Sinking his teeth into her neck, he found thick, warm blood mixed with apple juice was a big improvement.

Dana Faletti – Eve’s Dark Desire

Comments from Firdaus: From the very first sentence I was hooked. Every line a beauty in itself and the last one just tipped the balance a little. Brilliant!

@danafaletti
Shinigami, Luau, Romance

Eve’s Dark Desire

You caught me by surprise this dewy morning in Luau garden.
With crimson-tinged talons and rheumy eyes, you slid from behind the forbidden tree.
“Delicious,” you hissed. “Just like you, Evie.”
Blush burned my cheeks as my gaze fell from your velvet eyes to the blood-red fruit in your palm.
Heart-shaped and glossy, it was as if you were offering a part of yourself.
How could I have refused?
I sank my teeth into its shiny flesh, imagining the taste of you.
A pulsing sweetness flooded my senses.
I gave myself over to your lusciousness, and, for just one moment in paradise, it felt sinfully good be bad.

Congratulations! Each of you will receive:

• A winner’s badge on the site
  • An invitation for inclusion in the anthology (with a note that your story was selected as a winner)
  • A Kindle copy of Snow White (Fairy eBooks). If you already have the book or don’t have a Kindle, etc., you are free to choose another book of similar value or donate the cost of the book to World Reader, The Book Bus, or another literacy-related charity. Please contact me with the country you live in and the e-mail address you’d like me to send the Kindle book to.

Additionally, you are each invited to judge the next round of Microcosms. Please let me know if you are interested!